Skip to main content

When is it OK to Stop Reading?


The librarians who volunteer to stock the Staff Picks display sign up for a three-month rotation.  The first rotation will end on June 30th, and so with two weeks to go until four new display stockers start up, we get to hear from the last of the four librarians currently in charge of the Staff Picks display.

Barbara Cangiano is the Head of Circulation at Wallingford Public Library.  Not only does she know more than any of us ever will about the ins and outs of the circulation system (and the reasons behind those annoying delays in getting books from other libraries), she is, bar none, the best person to ask when you can't find an item that our catalog says is available.  Barbara knows all the tricks to suss out hidden material, and she loves to be of help. Barbara also loves to read, but  in this blog post she shares an interesting and useful perspective on what happens when she doesn't love the book she is currently reading:

I have been the Circulation Department Supervisor at the Wallingford Public Library for a little over two years.  I love being surrounded by wonderful book-loving people and tons and tons of books!


Once upon a time I used to finish every book that I started, but not anymore. Did I feel guilty about that? Yes. Did I hide that secret from family and friends and coworkers? You bet I did!

Until I read this about my hero, Nancy Pearl.

A former children's librarian in Tulsa and Seattle, Nancy Pearl gained national attention by giving book recommendations on NPR's Morning Edition and with her books, Book Lust and More Book Lust. "Reading is my job, so that's all I do. I read," she said. "I don't cook, I don't garden, I do nothing. But I only read the books I want to read, that I'm loving. So if I start a book and I don't like it, I immediately put it down."

"People are sometimes shocked at that," Pearl said. "But in fact, the book is always going to be there. You can always pick it up again and try it. There are several notable examples of books I didn't like on the first, or even on a second try or third try, that I ended up loving. Probably 70 to 80 percent of why we like a book or not is due to our mood."

Bingo!

Nancy has helped me get over my feelings of inadequacy when I stop reading a book. She has given me permission to move on guilt-free and not feel bad for authors who I gave up on or books that everyone loved but me. For the more "resistant to change" reader, she has even developed a rule of 50.

"People frequently ask me how many pages they should give a book before they give up on it. In response to that question, I came up with my "rule of 50," which is based on the shortness of time and the immensity of the world of books. If you're 50 years of age or younger, give a book 50 pages before you decide to commit to reading it or to give it up. If you're over 50, which is when time gets even shorter, subtract your age from 100 -- the result is the number of pages you should read before making your decision to stay with it or quit. Since that number gets smaller and smaller as we get older and older, our big reward is that when we turn 100, we can judge a book by its cover!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to North Main Book Notes

Welcome to North Main Book Notes, the new Readers Advisory blog of Wallingford Public Library. Posts on this blog will cover a wide range of reading and reading-related interests, from new books to favorite books to trending or popular books, all across a wide range of genres and categories. Librarians from across WPL departments will contribute to the blog, and we encourage patrons to let us know what they would like to see posted here.  We're excited to have this new way to share our love of books and reading with our patrons!

North Main Book Nook Staff Picks Display

In this second blog post describing the themed displays in the North Main Book Nook, we turn to the Staff Picks display.  Unlike the earlier "Staff Favorites" display which used to be located between the main computer area and the teen area, and which was filled by all Wallingford Public Library staff members as the mood struck, this Staff Picks display is filled with books chosen by four specific WPL staffers on a rotating three-month basis.  


Each of the four is responsible for keeping one quadrant of the octagonal display fully stocked with reading favorites.  Here is a blog message from Programming Librarian Julie Rio, one of the four library staffers in the current Staff Picks rotation:
Greetings and Salutations! My name is JulieRio and I am the Adult Programming and Community Services Librarian at the Wallingford Public Library. During this quarter of the year, I am one of the staff members whose favorite books are being highlighted in the Staff Picks display in the L…

A Sense of Place

Teresa Kristan remembers when the Wallingford Public Library was located down the block, where the Library Wine Bar and Bistro now holds pride of place at 60 North Main Street.  She remembers because she worked there and because her grandfather was a custodian for the library several decades ago. Teresa is an ardent baseball fan, so summer is an especially good time for her. She is both a Circulation Librarian and a Reference Librarian at the library, and she is one of the four library staff members currently stocking the Staff Picks display in the North Main Book Nook. Teresa's bio on the Staff Picks display includes this sentence: "If I could have read in the living womb, I would've, but the light was bad." She has a lot to say about books and reading, and she shares some thoughts below:

I was thinking about a different sense of place that I get when I read, not where the book or article is set, but where I am while I'm reading it.

There's a sweet children…